Out of your Dreams..... Into your Life
Login
Welcome to Irish Draught Horse Society (GB)
Monday, 24 November 2014 @ 09:07 PM GMT
 Forum Index >  Breeding >  Breeding
 Coleman Mare
First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last    |  Printable Version
Anonymous: SWright
By: Anonymous: SWright ()  Friday, 14 May 2010 @ 01:50 PM BST  

Hi,

I have a Gelding aged 20 decended from Coleman. Trying to find out more about Colman myself. Any infomation would be greatfully received. Any idea's where yo start?

Kind Regards

SW

Janet George
By: Janet George (offline)  Friday, 14 May 2010 @ 07:50 PM BST  
Forum Active Member

Quote by: SWright

Hi,

I have a Gelding aged 20 decended from Coleman. Trying to find out more about Colman myself. Any infomation would be greatfully received. Any idea's where yo start?

Welcome to the forum. Colman (no e) was born in 1967 - by Kilcolman out of Ballinoe Lassie (who was by a TB stallion.) He has 183 progeny listed in the IDHS (GCool database - the last born in 1991. He sired RID stallions Cosheen Liam, and Snowford Stoker, as well as Embla Stud's Maurice Minor and Embla Statesman, who weren't RID but had very successful commercial stud careers. He also sired some very successful brood mares.

Profile Email    

Anonymous: HJW
By: Anonymous: HJW ()  Monday, 17 May 2010 @ 11:26 AM BST  

Hi

My current mare is the granddaughter of Colman being by Embla Statesman. We also had her half uncle (statesmans half brother who was by Colman).

Colman was owned by George and Edith McMaster at the Embla Stud and stood their until his death at the age of 21 (if my memory serves me correctly). The Stud is in Gnosall in Staffordshire and is still ongoing although no longer breeds Irish Draughts or so I am aware. The stud is currently operational also as a cattery and kennels and so a phone number should be easy to find.

Their daughter Yvonne would really be the person to speak with now and i'm sure that she would be happy to give more back ground info if it was wanted.

Hope this helps.

Regards
heather

Anonymous: rosip
By: Anonymous: rosip ()  Saturday, 21 May 2011 @ 07:31 PM BST  

just come across this forum whilst looking up King of Diamonds as one of my old hunters (now sadly dead) was out of this stallion. my other hunter was out of Coleman - a wonderful 16'2 bay with the calmest temperment ever encountered: air brakes didn't phase him, combines etc. you name it, it was all in his stride. his only fault was to be a little joggy on the way home and he didn't like standing to chat whilst homeward bound! but he did grow out of that when my friend had him. he took her 12 yr old to local shows and never took the *censored*. but if you got on him and thought you knew it all, he soon showed you up - particularly men. he seemed to like women and would look after you. He was 21 when he died from a heart attack, 4 years ago. still looking for another paragon in the horse world and of course, no other horse can measure up to him! it's been lovely reading about people's mares and foals out of Coleman. Smile

Lynda Tinson
By: Lynda Tinson (offline)  Monday, 23 May 2011 @ 04:36 PM BST  
Forum Regular Member

Hi Rosip

I do hope you find another horse , you are certainly on the right website to find a level headed horse.

I really can't recommend the ID highly enough. Having bred 2 purebred fillies I kept the 2nd one. I did contemplate selling her a few times as a youngster as I underwent 2 major spinal ops but I'm so glad I didn't. Despite having bits of my spine removed and rods and pins fitted I backed her myself last year and we are currently hacking out to build up our strength. If I'd had any other breed of horse I sure I wouldn't have had the confidence to get this far.

Erin is far better in traffic than the older horses we sometimes ride out with. Flapping bags in the hedgerow aren't scarey as let's face it there could be food in there! She doesn't mind my Son playing football in her field and flying his kite. My Daughter who is 10 handles her easily. I am so fortunate to have such a lovely RID horse.

Profile Email    

Sarah King
By: Sarah King (offline)  Monday, 30 May 2011 @ 06:56 PM BST  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Hi there

I had a Colman mare, born 1990 who was a tremendous jumper - very careful and very scopey - she was schooling over GP fences but had a fall which cut short her SJ career. A very talented, but very difficult ride. Sadly she was PTS in 2008.

I also have a 5 year old by Snowford Mount Western, who is a great-grandson of Colman. Nowhere near as talented as Carrick, but a lot easier to ride!

Carrick's full sister, Sad to Have Missed jumped internationally with Micheal Whitaker, she also won the Foxhunter final (I'm not sure when - pre 1993) She broke down and was sold abroad as a broodmare. I don't believe she was registered with the IDHS, I can't find any information on her anyway.

Colman was never ridden - I was told he was very difficult but moved very well, but the reason he was never ridden was because, whoever had him before the McMaster's, tied a breeze block to his bit ring. I guess he was a difficult stallion and that was their management! And, the nerves in that side of his face were irreperably damaged. Poor guy Cry

I know a few Colman off-spring, and a lot of them seem to be quirky in some way, but all seem to be pretty talented horses.

Profile Email    

Anonymous: Waterwitch
By: Anonymous: Waterwitch ()  Tuesday, 31 May 2011 @ 07:55 PM BST  

k1w1 that sounds like a great female family...looked up Sad to Be Missed and seems she produced a CCI** mare called Just Salopian before she left the UK! Colman was also damsire of Mary King's Apache Sauce.

I have two RID Colman great granddaughters. One is by Happy Ending (Snowford Stoker's son from Trinity) and the other is by Grange Augustus (whose dam Pilgrim's Gift was by Colman). The Happy Ending mare has a filly foal at foot by Heathercombe Calico so the filly is linebred to Colman through Snowford Stoker and Fintan Himself. The Grange Augustus mare has just been bred to Winmaur Sgt Pepper (damsire Snowford Stoker) so she will have a linebred Colman next year as well.

My Happy Ending mare sounds a lot like the mare mentioned earlier...very forward to ride, but sensible. The other mare is more laid back.

Liz

Sarah King
By: Sarah King (offline)  Friday, 03 June 2011 @ 07:38 AM BST  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Hi Liz

I just looked on the BE site and found Just Salopian...no idea how you found her though!! It's sad that a lot of these successful competition horses don't seem to be registered with the IDHS...like Apache Sauce (I didn't know he was a Colman horse), Lenamore, Special Diamond, Diamond Exchange...

My Colman mare, and current Colman offspring, are ISH, but I do have a pure bred, sadly no Colman blood though - was left her in a will so am not complaining!!

Sarah Smile

Profile Email    

First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last